Hyderabad has always been renowned for its Nawabi culture and rich heritage. While tourism in the city has always been associated with visits to the Salarjung museum, Golconda fort, Charminar and other historical landmarks, there was no destination that transported tourists to the era of the Nizams. The Taj Falaknuma Palace fills this void perfectly. It lets guests soak in the regal ambience of the splendid rooms where the Duke of Windsor once sipped his morning tea, walk in the palatial lawns where King Edward VIII strolled, and nurse a drink and cigar where the Nizam took in long puffs from his four-piped silver hookah (which still adorns the Smoking Room).
Along with these attractions, there is something very interesting about the palace. Have you ever seen a dining table that can accommodate 101 people? Yes…that is what is an asset to the palace.The dining table, at the Falaknuma Palace is a reflection to the royal ambience of the Nawabs.
Let us check out its attractions one by one.
- 101 people can at a time have food on this table.
- Under the delightful chandelier lights, the table stuns you with specially designed acoustics that allow for conversation from one end of the table to another.
- Coming to the dimensions of the table, it is 80 feet long, 5.7 feet wide and stands at a height of 2.7 feet from the ground.
- The surface of the table was made by using seven long logs of wood.
- The costliest types of wood, like teak and rosewood were used in its preparation.
- The chairs around the table were made of carved rosewood with green leather upholstery.
- The paintings on the walls coloured by melting gold stand as the masterpiece.
History of the Palace
- Viqar-ul-Umra, the Prime Minister of Hyderabad, used the palace as his private residence until the palace was handed over to the 6th Nizam of Hyderabad around 1897-1898.
- His monogram is on the furniture, walls and ceiling of the palace.
- Many skilled workers from France worked for its construction.
- Almost 25 people specially worked for serving the food at the table.
- The vessels, plates and spoons that the royal family used were all of gold and silver.
The Taj Falaknuma hotel
In 2010, the Taj group of hotels took the palace under lease from the Nijam family and named it as Taj Falaknuma Hotel. Now, this is a rich, ambient five-star hotel. Celebrities like Sachin Tendulkar and Kareena Kapoor had their food on this table during the inauguration of the hotel.
Is it available to the common man?
Don’t be in a illusion that the palace is only for royal families and special guests! The Taj Falaknuma hotel also provides its services to common people. You can eat whatever you want with no limits. Ofcourse, there are certain conditions.
- Only when there are a minimum of 40 people, the food is served.
- The cost for the food to be served for single person is around Rs.18,000.
So, this is the reason why the Government of Telangana organizes food for its special guests at this palace, so that they enjoy the place’s royalty. If you are planning a visit to Hyderabad, then make sure Falaknuma palace stands in the list and enjoy the royal dinner!!