Potatoes are a very popular food stuffed with high content of phytonutrients. Carotenoids, flavonoids and caffeic acid are present in Potato which are thought to promote health. A powerhouse of nutrients, potatoes offer an excellent source of Potassium and Vitamin C, as well as rich source of iron and fibre. Plus they are low in fat and are cholesterol free. The vitamin C in potatoes also acts as an antioxidant. It’s a common belief that potatoes make people fat. Recent studies figure out that eating potatoes could actually help in losing weight if they are prepared in a healthy manner. Though potato has a high-carbohydrate food, eating them in moderate quantities won’t make you fatter.
The majority of carbohydrates in potatoes are complex carbohydrates which are body’s main energy source. Most of the Vitamin C and Potassium are found in the potatoes flesh. Potato skin contains Vitamin B, Vitamin C, iron, calcium, potassium and other nutrients. Potato skin also provides lots of fiber. If you eat a medium baked potato which includes the skin, you will get nearly 4g of fiber, 2 mg of iron and 926 grams of potassium.
Much of the world’s population make potatoes as their staple diet item owing to their immense health benefits.
Let’s have a look on some of amazing health benefits of this popular food:
- Potatoes helps maintain blood pressure because they are loaded with kukoa-mines
- Increasing consumption of potatoes decreases the risk of Obesity and overall mortality, diabetes, heart disease and promotes healthy complexion, increased energy, overall lower weight.
- It aids in digestion due to their high fiber content
- Prevent heart disease as potato also contain carotenoids such as lutein, zeaxanthin which are beneficial for heart and the better functioning of other internal organs.
- Potatoes contain Vitamin C, Vitamin B, potassium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorous which are all essential nutrients for a healthy skin.
- Boost immunity as it contains high Vitamin C content
- Contain high levels of flavonoid antioxidants which protect against different types of cancer
- Potatoes contain folate which plays a major role in DNA synthesis and repair which prevents the formation of Cancer cells from mutations in the DNA.
- Choline is a very important and versatile nutrient in potatoes that helps with sleep, muscles movement, learning and memory.
- Potatoes are rich in Vitamin C. Collagen, the skin’s support system which relies on Vitamin C as essential nutrient that works in our bodies as an antioxidant to help prevent damage caused by the sun, pollution and smoke.