Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie was one of the best-selling authors. She was popularly known for her mystery element and got famous as, “the queen of mystery and crime”. Moreover, she is one of the most famous writers of the history. In addition, she was also a playwright and a romance author. Agatha Christie continues to be ruling the world of mystery through her previous works.
About Agatha Christie
Earlier, Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller, she was born on September 15, 1890, in Devon, in the southwest part of England. She was the youngest of the three siblings and her mother educated her. Moreover, her mother was her source of encouragement for writing!
At the age of sixteen, she moved to Paris for a time to study vocals and piano. In 1914, she married Colonel Archibald Christie (a Royal Flying Corps pilot). Also, she took up nursing during World War I.
In 1920, she published her first book, “The Mystery Affair at Styles”. It was about the murder of a rich heiress. This novel was the inception of her most famous character, “Hercule Poirot”, a Belgian detective.
In 1926, her new book, “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd” was one of the author’s all-time favorites book. The same year, her mother died and her husband revealed that he was in a relationship with another woman. She disappeared for some time during this period. In 1928, she had a divorce and she married Max Mallowan (an archaeology professor) after two years. After some time, she had another classic, “Murder at the Vicarage” and introduced a new character of an enquiring village lady, “Miss Jane Marple”.
Poirot and Marple are two of her most famous characters in many books. Poirot appeared in Ackroyd, The Mystery of the Blue Train and Death in the Clouds and Miss Marple in books like The Moving Finger and A Pocket Full of Rye.
There are more than seventy detective novels and fourteen short-story collections by Christie. Moreover, some of her romantic novels are Unfinished Portrait and A Daughter’s a Daughter. In addition, she has written one of the world’s longest running play, “The Mousetrap”. Not only this, her works have also made it to the screen.
TOP 10 CHRISTIE BOOKS THAT ARE A MUST!
Agatha Christie’s novel mostly include the elements of crime and unpredictable things! Her writing style and stories are unmatchable and incomparable. The list can go long when talking about her best works. However, here are the top ten novels that everybody should read!
And then there were none
- Firstly, if you are planning to read her work for the first time, GO WITH THIS!
- Secondly, this book is full of twists and crime elements. The main question you are going to repeat is, “Who is the killer?”.
- Thirdly, it is definitely going to leave you surprised!
- It is about ten strangers who are invited by Mr and Mrs U.N to Soldier Island. It is about time that tension starts to increase with suspicious killings happening.
- This book depicts that it is not easy to predict the end of Chritie’s book!
Mysterious Affair at Styles
- Firstly, this is Agatha Christie’s first novel. Also, it was the result of a dare from her sister Madge who challenged her to write a story.
- Secondly, it introduces the famous character of “Hercule Poirot”. In addition, another character who comes into the picture is “Hastings”.
- Thirdly, it is a crime story. It is about the death of the matron of a family.
- Even though there is no specific order to read her Poirot stories. However, if you feel to read in a chronological order, go with this one!
Murder on the the Orient Express
- Firstly, this is undoubtedly one of the most interesting mystery stories.
- Secondly, you will find Poirot investigating a case, once again here!
- Thirdly, you will keep on guessing the truth but it will anyhow, surprise you.
- The story has been adapted to a film and later, to TV as well. The film won nine awards in total and had some additional nominations.
- While reading it, you will be transformed to the Orient Express and it all would seem so real throughout!
A Murder is Announced
- Firstly, this is one of the best books of her character Miss Marple.
- Secondly, this is another intriguing crime fiction story.
- Thirdly, this was Agatha’s 50th mystery book which was liked a lot!
- It is about an unusual announcement about some murder details, in a local newspaper.
- Moreover, it depicts the theme of post-war changes.
- This story was adopted for a TV series later.
- Imagine reading an invitation for a murder in a newspaper. What will be your reaction? Get ready to read the journey through this book!
Death on the Nile
- Firstly, this one has travel element along with the mysterious things!
- Secondly, it is one of her most loved works because it really engages one.
- You will find Poirot investigating the case of a dead beautiful girl who had everything going good.
- The plot and the setting of this story is so well written and intriguing.
- This story has been adopted for a movie which is yet to be released in December, 2020. You can check out the trailer here.
- This is one of those books which you would not be able to put down, once you start it!
Also read 12 Self Help Books To Read In Your Lifetime For A Better Life
The Murder of Roger Aykroyd
- Firstly, this book changed Christie’s career! It is still one of the best classics.
- Secondly, it is not easy to unravel this mystery. It is again a Poirot story and he amazingly solves it. (AS ALWAYS!)
- Thirdly, it is about a man, Roger Aykroyd and the widow he is going to marry.
- It has amazing lines by Poirot. For instance,
“The truth, however ugly in itself, is always curious and beautiful to the seeker after it”.
- In addition, she got the idea for this book from her brother-in-law, James.
- It is full of tiny details, situations and dark elements. If you wish to solve this on your own, notice everything!
Five Little Pigs
- Firstly, this book depicts the creative sense of Christie.
- Secondly, it was named, “Murder in Retrospect”, originally.
- It is a retrospective murder mystery and exceptional in its own sense.
- It is about five suspects on a murder.
- You will definitely enjoy the journey of Poirot investing this case!
Peril at the End House
- Firstly, this book has three of her famous characters, Poirot, Hasting and Chief Inspector Japp.
- Secondly, it is about Poirot and Hastings vacation in Cornwall. And, them meeting young Magdala “Nick” Buckley and her friends.
- At the beginning, the story might seem clueless and confusing to you. But, the more pages you turn, the more interesting it gets!
- This is famous for being a very clever book.
- If you are looking for a great detective story, you will definitely enjoy this!
Also Read STEPHEN KING(the fiction king) and the uniqueness of his BOOKS!
- Firstly, this is a short but very engaging story.
- Secondly, it is about a rich businessman with the element of mystery!
- Thirdly, Agatha Christie describes it as one of the books that satisfied her the best.
- This book is unbelievably amazing and you will definitely enjoy this too.
- Of course, she has put the hints throughout, but do you really think she will not surprise you at the end?
The Murder at the Vicarage
- Firstly, this book introduces the character of sharp-tongued Miss Marple.
- Secondly, from the characters to the setting of the story, everything is well put and interesting.
- The entire story has a major element of Marple thoughts. However, she is not the protagonist.
- It is quite an enjoyable book and a good read!
- Marple amazingly understands human behaviour and applies it in the cases.
Agatha Christie has left an amazing and the collection of mysteries. If you are looking for a good book, her works are always the right choice. Do not hesitate before trying her books, they never disappoint.
As it is rightly said, old is gold!
Enjoy reading and do share your favourite books!
ADDITIONAL AND PICTURES SOURCE: AGATHA CHRISTIE’S WEBSITE