Have you ever watched a short film?
The feeling is amazing plus different than what you get after watching a long movie that too in breaks!
We all have some portion of the love reserved for simple movies that have a meaningful message. Films like “The Lunchbox”, “Udaan”, “Wake Up Sid”, “Margarita, with a Straw” and many others, never finish without giving one a message. However, there are many times when we are unable to choose a film because of its duration. The feeling is strange. You want to watch a complete film but you want to rush too, because of other commitments. The solution? Well, short films might work sometimes!
With the advent of the Internet, short films have gained more popularity and love. People have started to have a passion to impact things and spread meaningful messages through such films. Moreover, it has become a go to place for binging something when one has a short lunch break!
However, if you are someone who has not tried this world of art, you are at the right place for interesting suggestions. Apart from this, if you are someone who is looking for some light and meaningful short films, I have it all sorted out!
15 MEANINGFUL SHORT FILMS!
- Firstly, it is by the platform Terrible Tiny Tales, famous for TTT. It is one of the major storytelling platforms.
- Secondly, this story speaks about a lot of elements in a short span. It covers generation gap, love and secrets.
- Thirdly, it talks about matured love and understanding.
- With a simple name “Kheer”, it depicts the sweet serving of love and sharing it with everyone around.
- Firstly, it is a very short film with no sound. Yes, it is a silent film!
- Secondly, there is not much happening around. In addition, in quite a simple way, it speaks deeply.
- The story of this film can be interpreted in many ways. But at the end, they all will be good.
3. Beans Aloo
- Firstly, it is a beautifully expressed story through a conversation.
- Secondly, the film does not only talk about the relationship between a mother and a daughter but also, after-marriage society norms.
- Importantly, in a very simple way, it portrays an important message.
- The title is the recipe of an Indian dish literally but it talks about the victory over preconceived social norms.
4. The Blue Helmet
- Firstly, this story might confuse you at the beginning but the more it unfolds, the more it reveals a secret.
- Secondly, it has the elements of love along with the societal judgments.
- In other words, it shows how with one glimpse, one is able to judge someone a lot.
- Moreover, it reminds one of the fact that there is always a reason behind someone’s doing. So, one should not comment or judge somebody without knowing the exact thing.
- It would definitely leave you with goosebumps!
- Firstly, it is a very different story which has been portrayed in a unique way.
- Secondly, it shouts the element of creativity throughout. In other words, one can find a way out in any kind of a situation!
- It is an interesting story that would push you to start doing something you have been thinking about since long! After all, it is all about making the best out of your life, no matter what.
- Firstly, the message of this film is very deep in comparison to its name.
- Secondly, the dialogues are incredibly put and are meaningful. For instance, “sometimes, it’s all about listening” or “we know when kids need extra tuitions but we don’t know when they need serious counselling”.
- It is somewhat an emotional story but a very impactful one.
- The elements of bullying, a mother’s love and emotions like guilt, are covered throughout this story.
- It depicts how even a short act of teasing or fun can have serious consequences on somebody’s life.
- This one’s actually a must watch for everybody!
7. Masala Steps
- Firstly, this is the most inspirational short movie.
- Secondly, it teaches how one should not forget the value of important relationships and the little things in life.
- Moreover, the acting of all the actors throughout the story is incredible!
- The power of will and hope is beautifully depicted in the film.
- Importantly, through its sweet and simple plot, it teaches the power of communication as well.
- This can be one of those life-changing films for someone. Do watch it!
8. Two Things
- Firstly, it is a ride from breaking a societal judgement to accepting things.
- Secondly, it also portrays the message on trusting somebody for their present and accepting their past. In other words, somebody’s past does not define them.
- The lovely connection showed throughout the story seems so pure and real.
- It conveys a great message of understanding and accepting just through a simple virtual call between two people who are getting to know each other more.
- Firstly, the title of this film carries a heavy message within itself.
- Secondly, it talks about breaking the pre-established beauty standards by the society and the impact it has created.
- Moreover, it throws light on a crucial issue of discrimination at the work place.
- It portrays how people have made beauty taboos more important than a person’s competence.
- This is a great story with an amazing message!
- Firstly, this story is so-happening that you would want to pause and analyse the entire thing one by one!
- Secondly, it revolves around a get together of a couple of families.
- You will witness cooking of some tasty cuisines and ironic mentalities throughout.
- In a very subtle way, it talks about the gender inequality and how it is inculcated from us and suffered by us. In other words, it depicts this never-ending loop.
- Moreover, you will see irony amidst the chaos. The men are sitting and gossiping while the women are working.
- The end would surely bring a smile with a pinch of painful realisation to you.
- Firstly, this movie is unbelievably powerful with a very important message.
- Secondly, it is presented in such a creative way that you would not be able to guess the crux until the end.
- Thirdly, it has strong sub-elements apart from the main message too. For instance, poverty, illiteracy and many others.
- It should be watched by everyone!
12. Nayantara’s Necklace
- Firstly, it starts with the portrayal of a friendship of two very distinct characters.
- Secondly, it shows how one should not compare one’s life with another. It is because nobody knows what is exactly happening in somebody else’s life.
- This simple title is more of a metaphor. It literally is a necklace but symbolises the lifestyle of the person to whom the necklace belongs.
- It is a short story with an impactful plot. A great watch, indeed!
- Firstly, it revolves around a family with several conflicts.
- Secondly, it has many important sub-themes like gender choice, extra marital affair and old age.
- It throws light on the selfish nature that children develop when they grow up. In addition, how the unconditional love for parents goes missing after a certain age.
- It is a very well put story with amazing acting by all the performers.
- Importantly, it teaches to never forget to love parents because of the mundane and busy life.
14. MAMA’s BOYS
- Firstly, this one might make you laugh!
- Secondly, it basically brings the tale of the Pandavas, Kunti and Draupadi in the 21st century.
- The dialogues as well as the acting throughout is incredible.
- At times, it even throws light at some bitter truths.
- If you are looking for something simple and entertaining, this one is a must!
- Firstly, this one talks about, not everyone having a good childhood.
- Secondly, it has some psychological elements. It brings out the impact one has because of the childhood traumas.
- In addition, the story is very meaningful and is beautifully portrayed.
- Moreover, it conveys the message to stop domestic violence in a very different way.
- You can play with subtitles if you do not understand the language used! Do watch this one.
YOU MAY ALSO READ: Fifty Films That Changed Bollywood! Book by Shubhra Gupta!
Nowadays, there are short films in almost every genre! Be it, horror or comedy, you can find every genre
Do share your favourite ones in the comments!