All the ones who love the show, “How I met your mother”, definitely love Ted Mosby A LITTLE TOO MUCH! Out of all the characters of the show, we all have our own reasons to love him the most. This lovely character made us all smile and cry at many points of the show.
We have all been a part of his journey from thinking of finding his “The One” to finally finding her. His journey of love, failure, victory, friends, career and everything else made us go through many emotions but also taught us A LOT.
The character was not only someone who narrated us throughout the nine seasons but gave us some great quotes to live by.
So, let’s move on!
In Mosby’s words, “Kids, you can’t cling to the past. Because no matter how tightly you hold on, it’s already gone”.
TEN THINGS THAT HE TAUGHT US!
Here is a list of ten things that our favourite character taught us.
1. FRIENDS ARE ABOVE ALL!
- Firstly, the five friends and their friendships with each other were beautifully portrayed. All of them had a different bond with Ted and each other.
- Secondly, in today’s world of losing close bonds easily due to silly mistakes, we forget how important they are to us. In other words, “Shouldn’t we just hold out for the person who doesn’t just tolerate our quirks but actually kinda likes them?”.
- In addition, he teaches us to always be there for our friends, no matter what, through his actions.
- The show proved that when we grow up, our priorities will change but we still want our friends to be there at every happy and sad moment.
- Moreover, the friendships throughout the show are so real and pure that they make you miss your friends group!
- As said by Mosby’s MAYBE Bestfriend, “Whatever you do in this life, it’s not legendary, unless your friends are there to see it”.
2. WORK WORK WORK! (Be passionate)
- Firstly, Mosby’s love and passion were his major strengths!
- He was working for an architectural firm in New York. Ted didn’t like his boss’s design of a skyscraper so he created his own and it was loved by all except his boss (OBVIOUSLY!).
- After, He even worked for Goliath National Bank (GNB) but got fired and then, started his own firm, “Mosbius Designs”. However, even this did not work well. Later, he started teaching architecture at Columbia University and even restarted the project with GNB. He was on the cover on the cover of the New York Magazine as the youngest architect to design a skyscraper in New York City!
- Importantly, we saw him work so hard for the building. In Mosby’s words, “I poured all my blood, sweat and tears into that building. To be fair, a lot of it happened the day I accidentally fell down that elevator shaft. The point is, it’s just really hard to let go, especially since that building’s my biggest accomplishment.”
- He taught how necessary it is to “LOVE WHAT YOU DO” in many ways.
- Moreover, any “How I Met Your Mother” fan knows that they think of Ted Mosby when they meet an architect!
Well, he is our favourite because all of his characteristics but his patience was just EXTRAORDINARY.
- Importantly, we know “Good things take time” very well because of his story.
- In other words, all his bad moves and times converted into good things and made us believe more in the optimistic approach of life!
4. Patience is the key, my friend.
- Firstly, we all cannot deny how many times we were losing patience to just know about the MOTHER in the show!
- However, Ted made us realise that when the “other doors close…”, we know the rest, don’t we?
- There comes a time in our lives when we want certainty about things. But, we often forget that life is meant to surprise us! So, do not think about why a certain thing is happening or not happening to you.
- In Mosby’s words, “That’s the funny thing about destiny, it happens whether you plan it or not.”
- Mosby made us know that life is about creating ideas and having the courage to make them POSSIBLE. You do not know what will happen but for now, all you can do is, believe in yourself!
- We know everything happens for a reason after these nine seasons of a beautiful journey.
- “I never got where I thought I wanted to go, but I always got a great story”- Ted Mosby. So, let’s wait for our own story because we will definitely have one of our own.
5. The best things in life are out there, LIVE IN THE MOMENT!
- Firstly, the end of the show says it all!
- Secondly, he teaches how there is something or someone always to hold on.
- Even when, he could not find his “The One”, he knew he had his friends by his side. He never left them. He was there for each one of them whenever they needed him.
- Importantly, by learning about himself, he made us learn many things too.
- Firstly, he believed in the signs, coincidences and the wider aspects of life that gave us a greater sense of thinking and doing.
- In Mosby’s words, “Come on, Barney, this is not about the odds! It’s about believing!”.
- Secondly, he taught us how the little things that happen in life lead to the biggest ones.
- Importantly, Ted Mosby gave us many reasons to believe in ourselves, our friends and our destiny.
- Moreover, he made us realise to never give up, no matter what.
7. It is OKAY to be hurt at times!
- From being left alone at the alter to raising up his kids alone, Ted taught us that it is absolutely all right to be hurt.
- Importantly, he made us realise that getting hurt, eventually makes us stronger and at the end, everything works in our favour.
- In Mosby’s words, “Sometimes things have to fall apart to make way for better things”.
8. Mistakes are NORMAL!
- What we are right now is only because of the mistakes that we made. Moreover, Ted’s life just like every one of us was not perfect! He made many mistakes but he always moved forward.
- “Here’s the thing about mistakes. Sometimes, even when you know something’s a mistake, you gotta make it anyway.” – Ted Mosby. In other words, MISTAKES ARE NECESSARY!
- Mistakes are an inevitable part of our lives. Moreover, the mistakes that we make can often make us start another journey and a better one.
- Ted would have ended up with Cheryl (his college girlfriend) or maybe someone else, had he not committed any mistakes!
- Moreover, his mistake of saying “I love you” at the wrong time taught him when was the right time to say it. (Now, I don’t want to start with the blue horn story!)
9. Love without boundaries and fear!
- There is a lot to say when it comes to Ted and love.
- Firstly, he taught us how to love without fears, from stealing a blue horn to bringing it to someone after years.
- He loved deeply and understood the people he loved, even when they failed to say things out loud.
- “You will be shocked kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That’s why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it.”- Ted Mosby
- We know we have never seen someone love as deeply as Ted did. “I think if you care about somebody you should want them to be happy, even if you wind up being left out”. He taught us to love without restrictions and with all of our heart.
10. AND OF COURSE, NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS AFTER 2 AM!
- “Nothing good happens after 2AM. When 2AM rolls around just go home and go to sleep because the decisions you make after 2AM are bad decisions”.
- Well, enough said.
The entire shows gives us a happy pair of spectacles to wear and view our life that way. The friendships are the major element of the entire show and of course, it taught us how the family that we choose can be as important and loving as the family that we are given!
Sometimes, shows and their characters can teach us much more than we can think! Ted, being the narrator, connected with us the most! This loving and kind character gave us a bigger view of life and bonds.
You may also read more about the show at: IMDb
Also Check Out: Hermione Granger: Ten Things The Iconic Character Taught Us.
Share your favourite episodes or dialogues from the show, below!
This one’s too good!