Who does not love snickers? They are the favorite snack for almost everyone out there! The amazing combination of dark chocolate, peanuts, and caramel surely makes for a sinful indulgence. And when those sugar cravings hit hard, a bar of snickers helps to satiate them all. But what can be better than healthy Snickers made at home!
Chocolate bars that you get in the market are loaded with sugar and fats. Thus, those looking for a healthier lifestyle try and avoid these. But hey, healthy living does not mean an end to all your cravings, right?
Read along to find this healthier version of the original bars that you can make very easily from the comfort of your home. With a few variations, this healthy Snickers recipe can also be made completely vegan, such as by using dairy-free chocolate. Thus, if a vegan dessert is what you are looking for, you are in the right place! Swap the ingredients with substitutes of your choice and you are good to go.
And the best part is that you do not need any fancy ingredients to prepare these homemade healthy Snickers bars. From oats to peanuts, you are almost sure to have everything already in stock. Or else, you can easily them in any supermarket.
Try and get the best quality of ingredients that you can to make the best version of these healthy Snickers at home. The finer the ingredients, the better the taste will be!
Why you need to make these healthy Snicker bars right away!
These bars taste the best when straight out of the freezer. The chocolate is still hard and breaks with a good snap. On the other hand, the centre is really soft and chewy, and kind of melts in the mouth. You could even use milk chocolate, if you want to, for coating these bars. But real dark chocolate will give you the real and authentic flavour that we are looking for.
These healthy Snickers bars also have a great shelf life, so you can make a big batch and then freeze it. Simply pull out a bar when you are craving for something sweet, and you are good to go.
So let us get started!
Here is what you will need to make these yummy and healthy Snickers at home:
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 40 grams peanut butter of any brand of your choice
- ¼ tsp sea salt, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 and 1/4 cup oats, finely ground
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- 200 grams couverture chocolate, finely chopped
Also Read Top 20 world Cuisines
- Begin by softening the dates. If you get seedless dates, you are good to go. Else you can deseed the dates and use them. Soak them in boiling water for around 15 minutes.
- Once softened, drain the excess water away. Combine with the vanilla, salt and peanut butter, and use a food processor to pulse the mixture. We are looking at achieving a smooth caramel here. It will be thick, but add some water if you feel that it is too stiff.
- Take out 2/3 of the caramel out in a bowl. To the remaining 1/3, add the ground oats. Blitz this till you get a soft and thick dough.
- Line an 8 x 5 inch loaf tin with some parchment paper. Spray some oil for easy removal of the bars.
- Start by pressing the oat mixture onto the base of the pan. Press it down firmly, and make sure that you spread it out evenly.
- Next, spread the prepared caramel over the oat mixture.
- Scatter the peanuts onto the caramel, and press them down a bit so that they adhere to the bars.
- Freeze the bars for around 2-3 hours.
- Once the bars have set, demould them. Cut 8-10 slices from the full size. If you want, you can even make mini-versions of the same.
- Place these sliced bars in the freezer again on a parchment paper.
- While these bars are chilling again, melt your chocolate in a microwave or over a double boiler. Make sure that you stir constantly, or else the chocolate would burn.
- Use two forks to carefully dip each bar into the chocolate, and then place these dipped bars on the parchment paper again.
- Sprinkle some salt on the chocolate when it is semi-set.
- Place in the freezer for an hour before serving them.
Storing these healthy Snicker bars
Though we guarantee that you will not be able to resist finishing off these bars in one go, here is how you can store them.
Pack them in an airtight container between pieces of butter paper, and then store them in the freezer. These will easily last you for a couple of weeks. Storing them in the fridge is fine too. Room temperature, however, is not recommended.
Alterations to these healthy Snickers
If you are allergic to peanuts, or do not like them, you can simply replace the peanut butter with any other nut based butter of your choice. Almond butter, for instance, would work really well! You can then substitute the peanuts with whole almonds, that have been slightly toasted.
Again, if you want, you can swap dark chocolate with milk chocolate, if that is what you prefer.
Making these bars might seem to be a daunting task at first, but thirty minutes of work is all that you need to do to get these perfect and healthy Snicker bars at home. And trust us, these bars can be really addictive. Once you get the hang of these bars, you will not be able to stop at just one. So what are you waiting for? Gather all the ingredients that you need, and get prepping right away!