The drama show, “THIS IS US” is a beautiful portrayal of various aspects of life and how this world is a round place. Moreover, this show does not move follow a linear time track but instead an abstract of a timeline. In other words, one has to join different pieces of several life puzzles while watching this show.
All the followers and fans of this show know how simply they have connected with the storyline of different characters of “This is us”. Ordinarily, every show has side characters. This show, however, has portrayed the individuality of every character along with their past. In other words, it is filled with flashbacks and flash-forwards of every character!
Each episode is a beginning of a new story and a new revelation of the past. This is the best part of the show. It is as real as listening to a friend’s story but as tangled as a labyrinth, at times.
In case you have not watched it yet, you really need to, as one of the show’s character said:
“Sometimes you just got to do the right thing. You got to do the right thing even if it’s not what you want” -Kevin Pearson
And you will know why it is the right thing, only once you start watching it!
Being a constant viewer of this show, you know you are a part of the Pearson family too! It captures our emotions and yes, we do feel every emotion they go through…
WHAT “THIS IS US” TEACHES US:
Filled with several themes like relationships, struggles, love, this show teaches us a lot in between. In other words, it is gives us the best meaningful life lessons to hold on to. Moreover, it brings out the complexities of life in a beautiful way that makes one ponder about the good side only. There are several little moments that throw light upon various emotions one faces daily. In a way, it also proves, how each and every thought and action has a reaction.
Here is a list of things that one can learn from it!
Family is above all!
- Firstly, “This is us” has its limelight on the importance of family!
- Secondly, it makes us realise how the love of family is one thing that is constant. It teaches how everyone should always value one’s family above all.
- Throughout the show, “BIG THREE” play a major role. The two brothers and one sister go through a lot of ups and downs but the BIG THREE always remain the same!
- We find love in several relationships, be it with one’s spouse or a friend. However, the love of family still remains unmatchable.
- Moreover, it focuses majorly on the power of sibling bonds.
Be YOU, no matter what
- The title of the show expresses a lot. “This is us”, in a way, throws light on the importance to be what one really is.
- Moreover, it is not only dynamic because of its sub themes but characters, as well. Throughout the show, all these different characters learn how to be the best version of themselves and teach us too, in the same process.
- For instance, when Kate Pearson realises she is much more than her weight, she taught us a lot too!
Relationships require maintenance
- Firstly, it has shown each and every kind of bond. From marriage and true love to two strangers becoming friends, it has displayed them all.
- Secondly, “This is us” shows us the reality of bonds and not a fairytale picture. It depicts how bonds require a lot of work and they do not just get a happy ending overnight!
- From Jack working hard against his alcohol addiction for his family and relationship with Rebecca to Randall bonding with his biological father, William, we have seen it all.
- The show portrays how important bonds are. For instance, Kevin trying his best to help his uncle, Nick. It made us realise the power of family love!
- In addition, it also teaches us to never take any bond for granted and value every relationship in our lives.
- Firstly, this show entirely revolves around all the characters evolving from their different experiences.
- In addition, it even conveys the message to be kind and polite with the people around us.
- From the discussion of different support groups to Randall’s therapy session, one realises the power of kindness and accepting oneself.
“If at some point in your life, you find a way to show somebody else the same kindness that your parents showed you, that’s all the present I’ll need“- Dr. Nathan Katowski
- Moreover, the beautiful and powerful characters display different acts of kindness that spread a positive message to us!
- Firstly, love is one of the main themes of this show.
- Secondly, it shows pure and unconditional love through different bonds.
- The main reason why this show really captures one is, because of the power of emotions in it.
- Moreover, it displays real love that requires adjustments, sacrifices and understanding.
- For instance, Jack’s love towards his family and especially wife, Rebecca, made us realise what true love actually is.
“You find your soul mate, you get married, you stay together until you die. Period.” – Jack
- Moreover, the love from parents has been displayed in its true sense.
“When you’re a mom, you get a front row seat to the best show in town: watching your kids grow up.”
Look at the bigger picture!
- This show really adds a beautiful part to one’s life through its dialogues or a character’s storyline.
- Importantly, it gives its viewers a sense of meaning to different aspects of live. Just like an ordinary mystery and romantic story, it has its twists and cute moments. However, the touch of the difficulties and realities, makes it different from any other story.
- It makes one look at the larger view of life and think how one little word or action can cause a great impact.
- Not only this, but it also pushes us to look at the bigger view as parents too:
We’re their parents. We do the best we can. But at the end of the day what happens to them, how they turn out, that’s bigger than us.
ACCEPTANCE IS IMPORTANT!
This show seems so realistic that almost all of us can relate to at least one character! Moreover, the plot is so dynamic and wide that it covers almost every aspect of a normal life. From every kind of relationships to every problem (be it, anxiety or cancer), it includes it all.
The most important message it gives us is to ACCEPT. It shows complexities and differences to make us accept every kind of person, situation and problem in our lives. And most importantly, ourselves.
“This is us” teaches us to be accepting towards our body, mind and bonds with people around. In addition, it also makes us realise how important it is to work upon ourselves and our relationships with others.
Moreover, apart from every aspect and message, it is a great guide for parents too! It makes every parent realise that every child is different and has their own capabilities. In addition, it makes them accept their child’s choices in life.
This show is much more than a simple and engaging story. It teaches you the power of communication, love and forgiveness by portraying every possible emotion.
Do share your favourite episodes or dialogues in the comments below!
TO KNOW MORE ABOUT IT, YOU MAY READ: IMDb
You may also read: