Parents are a major influence on their child’s career development and career decision-making. Parents want their children to find satisfaction and prosperity in life and one part which influences satisfaction and progress is career choice. Research also shows that when children feel cherished and loved by their parents, they tend to have more faith in their capacity to examine careers and to pick an option that would be engaging and inspiring.
This is crucial because researches show that youngsters who feel responsible regarding career decision-making, tend to make more pleasing career decisions later in life. Parents impact the level of education or knowledge that their kids achieve; the awareness they have about jobs and various career paths; the ideas and opinions they have on work, and the urge they have to become successful.
Picking a profession is a very crucial decision that affects an individual‘s complete future, so parents can become very stressed. It is necessary to stay certain otherwise it can become a stressful period for all involved. Parents unconsciously can make the past appear perfect and the future horrifying. Parents have chosen beliefs about progress, how to be prosperous and what constitutes a good job or perfect life. Anything we feedback to our children is based on these beliefs and our actions.
Many of us make the blunder of attempting to guard our children against the mistakes that we made – whether intentionally or unintentionally. While we can lead them away from some of the obstacles we encountered, they’ll unavoidably make errors and hiccups along the way – but these hiccups are necessary for their individual growth. The best thing you can teach is a thoughtful and practical mindset, providing your children the tools to make their own well-read decisions.
Why should parents choose the career of their child?
- Passion of parents – Every child should be more thankful to his parents in this world. Parents are the ones who undergo a lot of challenges and bring up their children so that they can lead a healthy and happier life. Every parent wishes to see their kids well established in their life and thus, they have the right to determine a more suitable career for their kids.
- Decreases the burden on children – Thinking of choosing a proper career takes on a serious note often during exam periods. Children should leave the decision of their career on their parents and must concentrate on the on-going exams. They must not be going through stress in anyways.
- Maturity – Children may sometimes arrive at taking bad decisions about their careers. Even if parents do not make their career decision, they can at least oversee that their kids make healthy decisions. Parents are the burning flame in the life of a child.
- Support – Parents give endless support to their children by guiding and keeping them on the right career path. No parent would like to ruin their child’s future by making a bad decision.
- Experience – We should forever remember that parents are way more experienced than children. They have understood the world better than their children and therefore, their judgment would be better and right.
Why should children choose their careers?
- Right to choose – Every child has the right to decide their career path and they have the right to make their dreams come true.
- Knows themself better – A child can only know their talents and capabilities better than anyone else. They know their subjects and areas of interest and thus, can choose their career path effectively.
- Interesting – If children decide on a career according to the desires of their parents, they will have a dull academic life as they would suffer a lack of interest. College life is the most enjoyable period of a student’s life. To experience this period and make it more interesting, a child should choose their career path.
- Facing pressure – If a child follows a career path decided by their parents and which is not of their interest, they will have to face a lot of difficulties and stress. To avoid such situations, they must choose a career that interests them the greatest.
Important Factors to be Considered by Parents in Choosing a Career
There are a few factors that are of tremendous value in the career choice process. The parents need to know and acknowledge these factors while deciding on a career option. The role of parents in child growth is very important and thus there are major factors that a parent must weigh before taking any final decision. Listed below are the factors that define the value of the role of parents in child improvement:
- Aptitude: The child’s ability is a mirror of their personality, powers, and vulnerabilities. Hence, a strategically created aptitude test can reveal a lot about the student which helps in making a good career decision.
- Interest: It is very challenging to spend your life struggling in a field that you are not interested in. Hence, the parent should look into the likings of their child and analyze it while shortlisting career options.
- Informed Decision over Herd Mentality: It is very easy for a child to get influenced by peer pressure into picking a career that the majority is choosing rather than the one which is most suitable for them. Sometimes, even the parents get drawn to a career choice that is popular and this ends up hindering the students’ accomplishment. Hence, a parent needs to be acquainted with all the career choices.
- Scope: Career scope informs us about different fields and occupations that are available after pursuing a particular course. The greater the scope, the greater are the chances of finding the job that suits the child most.
- Remuneration: Even if not the most significant, remuneration of a career holds value in one’s life. The remuneration should meet the child’s aspirations and should enable a content and happy life.
- Travel Passion – 10 Smart Career Options to Satisfy It
- Top 10 Fastest-Growing Careers in India for the 2021 Modern Youth
- Sound Engineering: A Career where you Speak with Music
- Top High-Paying New Career Options for Future India
Best Solution to this Problem
The role of parents in a career choice is important for both the parents as well as the children. The pressure among kids increases when they feel the emptiness of supervision. Kids feel the need to communicate and at times parents can’t see this need, this widens the gap between a parent and the child. Thus parents play an essential role in the whole process.
The child may be wrong but as a parent, you must discuss with them rather than getting annoyed. Children are unpredictable by nature. Keeping a track of your child’s evolving interests and suggest career options that match their interests. Thus you need to realize your role as a parent in your child’s growth.
Parenting is a difficult responsibility. Supporting and guarding the child’s future and setting them up for an efficient vocation is more challenging. Guiding them to the right career choice, financial stability, and personal fulfillment is a challenge for all parents.
A parent must understand that their task is only to act as a facilitator in their child’s career path and allowing independent career decisions to mark a young person’s first real move into adulthood. Children seek their parents for advice, direction, and lots of guidance. Parents have an important task to carry out in the overall career path their children choose to seek.
Parents should guard against killing down ideas their children may have about their future professions. If they respond negatively, it may shut down the entire research process. Parents have to hold the lines of interaction open and encourage their kids to collect as much knowledge as possible on their career interest fields.
By providing children the liberty to decide what they want to do for their career, they become a reason for achievement and when they push children to do what they wished for them, the children ultimately fail to achieve. They can surely have a certain measure of authority to cast their children away from the errors that they did. However, the children are forced to make errors and face a few hurdles along the way. These mistakes are very necessary for their growth.