Khaman or Dhokla is a soft, airy, and spongy popular Gujarati snack that you’ll love having. It is among those easily digestible, healthy, vegetarian Indian snacks made from chickpea flour (besan) or semolina (sooji). It is even a gluten-free, vegan snack. Everyone has their own way of making Dhokla from scratch. The traditional Dhokla recipe goes through a tedious, overnight fermentation process which makes the batter airy and light. Yet, this Dhokla recipe is so quick and super easy that you can make it at any time of the day without having a second thought.
It’s a perfect tea-time snack served with some sweet and spicy chutneys. However, here I have given the recipe of the special Dhokla chutney that fits the best with this appetizing snack. This is my personal favorite tried recipe of instant Khaman Dhokla which never fails to give the best results each time (Recipe by Sanjyot Keer). Let’s quickly hop into the ingredients to make this mouth-watering, delicious chunk of distinct flavors.
Also read Ouick And Easy Chocolate Banana Cake In A Blender
For the Dhokla batter
- Besan (chickpea flour)- 200 gm
- Water- 300 ml
- Salt as per taste
- Citric acid- 1 Tsp
- Powdered sugar- 2 Tbsp
- Refined oil- 2 Tbsp
- Grated ginger/Ginger paste- 2 Tsp
- Baking soda- 1 Tsp
For the Tempting
- Refined oil- 1 Tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 Tsp
- Curry leaves- 12-15 (in nos)
- Slit Green chilies- 4-5
- Chopped green chilies- 1 Tbsp/as per taste
- Hing (asafoetida)- ¼ Tsp
- Powdered sugar- 4 Tbsp
- Water- ½-¾ cup
- Salt as per taste
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves- as required
- Fresh grated or desiccated coconut
For Special Dhokla Chutney
- Fresh roughly chopped coriander- ½ cup
- Chopped mint (pudina) leaves- ¼ cup
- Chopped green chilies- 2-3 Tsp
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Salt as per taste
- Sugar- 1 Tbsp
- Crumbled Khaman Dhokla- ½ cup
- Lemon juice- 2 Tsp
- Water as required
Also read Healthy Smoothie Recipes For Effective Weight Loss
For making the Dhokla Batter
- Firstly, take a mixing bowl. Add water, salt as per taste, sugar, citric acid, grated ginger, and oil. Take all the ingredients in the specified portions to get the best results. Mix all of them well with a wired-whisk. Keep it aside.
If you don’t manage to get citric acid, then you can replace it with 1 Tbsp of lemon juice. Although using citric acid will give you that super soft and spongy khaman Dhokla.
- You can also add a pinch of yellow food color to the water mix for a nice warm yellow color, though it is absolutely optional. Do not use turmeric/haldi for coloring. As baking soda may react with it and give your Dhokla red spots which looks very awful. So, don’t do that.
- Now, take another bowl and put a strainer over it. To it add the besan and sieve it. This step is important to get the fine chickpea flour for making the batter. So, don’t skip this.
- Next, add the prepared water mix to the sieved besan in batches and keep on whisking it in between. Don’t pour the water mix at once as it will become difficult for you to whisk in the end. Also, adding in batches will make sure that no lumps are formed while mixing. You have to whisk it very well and make a smooth and silky batter.
- Make sure the batter should not be too thick or too thin. It should be of medium running consistency. You need to whisk the batter in one direction only for at least 8-10 mins. This will make the batter airy which will result in a fluffy and airy khaman Dhokla. Now, cover and let the batter rest for at least 10-15 mins. Don’t skip this step.
Also read Yummy potato recipes to try out
Instructions for Oven
- If you’re cooking it in an oven, take a microwave-safe dish (preferably 6-6.5 inches in diameter) and grease it with some oil.
- Next, add the baking soda to the batter and whisk with light hands in one direction only. Mix the batter until you notice that the batter becomes frothy and fluffy. This will take half or a minute. Do not over-whisk the batter. You can also use 1 sachet of unflavored Eno fruit salt in place of baking soda.
- Now, you really need to be fast. Immediately transfer the batter to the greased dish. Put the dish into the oven in the micro mode for around 5-7 mins at 180℃. The timing may vary a bit depending on the amount of batter and the temperature settings. Though probably it takes exactly 5 minutes, you can also check after 5 mins.
- As the process of cooking in the oven ends, check the dhokla whether it is ready or not. Just insert a toothpick at the center, if it comes clean that means your soft and super spongy khaman Dhokla is ready.
- Take out the dish from the oven, cover it with a kitchen towel, and let it cool down a bit.
Instructions for without-oven
No need to worry if you don’t have an oven to make Dhokla. Traditionally, a large steamer was used to make Dhoklas. The only difference between steaming and cooking in micro-oven is that in the oven it just takes 5 mins, whereas the steaming takes about 10-15 mins. Here are the instructions to make instant Dhokla without an oven.
- Firstly, take a wide bottom vessel or a kadhai and add around some water to it. Next, place a steel ring or some kind of stand in the center. Now, cover the Kadhai or the vessel with a lid and bring the water to a boil.
- You can use any kind of mold to steam your Dhokla batter. You can use a big plate or steel bowls or any big container’s lid. However, a round-shape aluminum cake tin is preferred that fits perfectly inside your Kadhai or vessel. You need to grease the tin thoroughly with some oil.
- The rest steps remain the same as given in the recipe. After mixing soda along with the batter, transfer it immediately to the greased tin.
- Place the tin carefully over the stand. Make sure that the boiling water is not in contact with the tin. Cover the lid and let the batter steam on high flame for about 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, switch off the flame and insert a toothpick to check if it’s done or not.
- Take out the tin and let it cool for a bit by covering the top with a kitchen towel. This will prevent the top surface of the Dhokla from drying out.
Also read Apple Cider Vinegar | Proven Benefits, Dosage, Uses, And Probable Risks
For making the tempting
- By the time your Khaman Dhokla is being cooled, you can prepare the tempting which will be poured all over it. The tempting will give the Dhokla a distinct flavor that makes it much moister and softer.
- For tempting, take a tadka pan and place it over medium-high flame. Add oil, slit/chopped green chilies, hing, curry leaves, and saute it briefly for around 10-15 secs. Further add water, sugar, salt as per taste, give a good stir and bring it to a boil. Your sweet-spicy tempting is ready to be poured.
- Carefully demould the dhokla from the dish and cut it into equal-sized squares. Next, immediately pour the prepared tempting all over the cut dhoklas. As the sponge is super airy and fluffy, you’ll notice that it will absorb the tempting as soon as it is poured.
- Allow the dhoklas to soak the tempting water within them by leaving it undisturbed for around 5-8 mins.
Your hot, delicious, soft, and spongy Khaman Dhokla is ready to be served. Garnish it with some freshly chopped coriander leaves, and some grated coconut. Pair it with the specially made Dhokla chutney.
For making the Special Green Chutney
- Take a grinding jar, add fresh coriander, fresh mint leaves, green chilies as required, sugar, salt as per taste, and grind it once for half a minute. Next, add the reserve crumbled Khaman Dhokla and a dash of water. Grind all of them until smooth.
- A thick consistency chutney combines the best with Dhoklas, although you can adjust the consistency and add water accordingly.
- Finally, add a dash of lemon to it for that twist of tanginess and grind it once more. Your special Green Dhokla Chutney is ready to be paired up. Serve it with the hot, spongy Dhoklas. Enjoy!
(You can even store the chutney in the fridge, it will remain fresh for up to 2 days)
Also read 5 Useful Strategies To Stop Overeating From The Very Next Meal
Do try out this super easy and quick recipe of instant soft and spongy Khaman Dhokla with the special green Chutney that composes a perfect combo to hop onto. Follow all the steps and tips specified in the recipe properly. Place close attention to the proportions of the ingredients as quoted. Always use measuring spoons and cups for the best results. This is a perfect go-to snack that you can make any time and enjoy its sweet-spicy, delicious, and distinct Gujarati flavors.