Missing munching on those crispy spicy starters sitting on your favorite snack-bars? However, you can now make your favorite delicacies in the restaurant-style right from your home. Honey chili potato is a quite popular Chinese veg starter, of course, it has a huge fan following too. It turns to be super delicious, crunchy with its sweet-spicy tongue-tickling flavors that you can hop into any time of the day. This is the perfect go-to starter for house parties or maybe some family gatherings. Though this recipe needs a bit of effort, you’re gonna love what you will get at the end. This is a fantastic recipe, the potatoes even if they’re coated with the hot, sweet-spicy sauce remain so crispy and taste so appetizing.
Without expressing much, let’s look into the recipe to make this flavorful crisp-spicy starter.
For the crispy potatoes
- Medium-sized potatoes- 250 gm (cut like french fries/equal-sized wedges)
- All-purpose flour/maida- ½ cup
- Cornflour/Cornstarch- ½ cup
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required to make a thick paste
- Ginger-garlic paste- 2 Tbsp
For the sweet-spicy sauce
- Oil- 2 Tbsp
- Chopped ginger garlic- 2 Tbsp
- Slit green chilies- 2-3
- Medium-sized sliced onion- 1
- Red chili powder- ½ Tsp
- Red chili sauce- 3 Tbsp
- Tomato ketchup- 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce- 1 Tbsp
- Crushed black pepper- ½ Tsp
- Water- ½ Cup
- Cornflour slurry- 3 Tbsp
- Red food color- 1 Tsp (optional)
- Honey- 1+½ Tbsp
- Chopped spring onions and some sesame seeds for garnishing
Also read Yummy potato recipes to try out
For making the crunchy potatoes
- Firstly, you need 250 gm of potatoes cut like french fries of approximately equal-sized. After cutting the potatoes or while you’re cutting them, make sure you keep them soaking in water, as this will prevent them from darkening. Take enough water in a pan to boil all the potatoes, add some salt as per taste, and bring the water to a boil. Now, add all the potatoes inside this boiling water. You need to cook these wedges, till these get cooked around 60-70%. That means you will be able to break these quite easily yet the potatoes will hold their shapes.
- Immediately, strain the water otherwise they will get more cooked. Let the boiled potatoes cool a bit for some time. Meanwhile, will prepare the coating for the potatoes before deep-frying them. For that, in a bowl mix ½ cup of all-purpose flour, ½ cup of cornflour, and some salt as per taste. To this, add little water at a time to make a slightly thick paste so that it coats well with the wedges. Now, add 2 Tbsp of ginger-garlic paste to this thick batter, do not skip this step, as it gives the potatoes an amazing taste. Give everything a good mix.
- Next, pour the prepared batter all over the boiled potatoes and coat them very well. You need to do this very gently with your fingers, coat each of the wedges nicely, and at the same time don’t break them. You’ll notice that an ideal consistency batter/paste will stick to the potatoes perfectly.
For deep-frying the wrapped potatoes
- Now, you need to heat some cooking/refined oil in a pan enough to deep fry all the wedges. Carefully add the coated potatoes to the hot oil one by one and not all of it. These will start to cling together just after they come in contact. No need to worry, the minute you drop them they’ll cluster together, don’t try to separate them immediately, take time till they are lightly fried, and then separate it.
- Before these become slightly golden, take them out in a tissue paper. Similarly fry rest of the potatoes. This is the first frying, will double-fry these wedges to get that restaurant-style crispiness. This time you need to fry these till they become perfectly golden in color. The double frying ensures that the coating gets very crispy and even after adding it to the sauce it remains crisp for a quite good time. Like those, we often get in restaurants. So, don’t skip this one.
- After the double frying process gets over, transfer the fried wedges to a sieve as this will let the air pass and your fried potatoes will remain super crisp.
For making the honey chili sauce
- Firstly, heat a pan or a Chinese wok to prepare the sweet-spicy, peppery sauce for the crisp fried potatoes. Add 2 Tbsp of oil to it, after the oil gets heated right away add the chopped ginger-garlic. You need to saute this at medium-high flame until the raw smell is completely gone and the garlic turns slightly brown, as this tastes awesome when you have a bite of it.
- Once the ginger-garlic gets cooked well, add 2-3 slit green chilies, 1 medium-sized roughly sliced onion, and saute it slightly by keeping the flame at high. This will hardly take 30-45 secs.
- Next, by keeping the flame at medium add ½ Tsp of red chili powder, 3 Tbsp of red chili sauce, 1 Tbsp of tomato ketchup for that tanginess plus sweetness, 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, ½ Tsp of black pepper and give everything a good mix. Well, you can avoid red chili powder and even alter the proportions of the sauces as per your taste.
- Then, add ½ cup of water and let the water come to a boil. After the sauce comes to a boil, add the cornflour slurry prepared by mixing 1 Tbsp of cornflour and 2 Tbsp of water. You need to immediately stir the sauce, and soon you’ll notice the sauce has thickened a bit. At this stage, you can add a pinch of red food color and mix everything well. Although food color is completely optional.
- Add a little bit of salt, be careful while adding salt as the sauces already contain salt in them. Finally, add 1+½ Tbsp of honey and give everything a good mix. At the minute, you can taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings if you feel like it.
The final touch-up
- Next, you need to switch off the flame and add the crisp fried potato wedges. Give everything a good toss so that each of the wedges gets well coated with the sweet-spicy sauce.
- Your super delicious hot-spicy crisp honey chili potato is ready to be served. Serve it right away while garnishing it with some finely chopped spring onions and a few sesame seeds. Do give this recipe a shot and enjoy this super yummy restaurant-style crispy honey-chili potato right away at your home.
You may even check on to this one Delicious Masala Corn Recipes In 3 Flavors | Healthy, Quick And Easy