We all find it attractive to have a sparkling bright smile, but with the pollution and staining foods, the yellowing of teeth has become a common problem. Foods like coffee, tea, and even aerated drinks are some of the major food items responsible for staining your teeth.
Image Source: ShutterstockWell, if you have also gone through those moments of discomfort sitting amongst the crowd, teeth whitening treatment is the solution you are looking for. While teeth bleaching as teeth whitening treatment has been existing for decades now, however, they are harsh on the teeth and cause corrosion, sensitivity, and other oral health problems.
Fortunately, there are numerous modern teeth whitening treatment options available in the market that are extremely gentle and efficient in removing tough stains. Let’s read on further to know more about teeth whitening treatment.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
- Foods and Drinks: Starchy foods such as potatoes and pasta and drinks like coffee, tea, aerated drinks, red wine, etc., are some major foods that break down the enamel on your tooth and ultimately cause staining.
- Tobacco: Cigarette smoking is also responsible for causing your teeth to look yellower and darker with the passing of time.
- Poor Oral Care: Forgetting to brush and floss once in a while is acceptable; however, making it a habit can cause food stains and plaque to build up. Moreover, regular visits to your dentist are also important to maintain your oral hygiene.
- Ageing: With the growing age, the outer layer of the enamel gets worn out, exposing the yellow dentin.
- Disease: Some diseases prevent the normal development of tooth enamel and dentin, which leads to tooth discoloration. Moreover, medical treatments like head and neck radiation, chemotherapy, etc., can cause teeth to go yellow.
Types of Teeth Whitening Treatments
- Professional Teeth Whitening: If you go for a professional teeth whitening treatment, you will need to visit a dentist’s clinic. A professional teeth whitening costs more (between ₹7,000 to ₹20,000) compared to other methods but also gives immediate results.
Before undergoing the treatment process, your dentist will thoroughly examine your mouth to check for any issues that may hinder the effectiveness of teeth whitening. Moreover, they will also look for any sensitivities or allergies that you might have.
- Teeth Whitening Kit: Teeth whitening kit contains a light-emitting diode or LED along with a bleaching agent like hydrogen peroxide. Some teeth whitening kits might also have a PAP in place of peroxide for those who have sensitive teeth.
These at-home teeth whitening kits provide similar results to that of professional whitening treatments while saving you a lot of money at the same time. At-home teeth whitening price starts at the low of ₹5,000.
Over-the-Counter Products: Products like mouthwashes, whitening gels, toothpaste, stripes, etc., are a few of the methods that can be used for teeth whitening. However, these products are perfect if you have mild teeth stains.
Moreover, natural products used for teeth whitening, such as charcoal, coconut oil, etc., that contain little or no amount of peroxide can also be used. However, it is important to know that abrasive teeth whitening products can lead to sensitivity with time as they are responsible for wearing away the outer layer of enamel.
With numerous options available in the market, you might be confused as to which teeth whitening treatment you should opt for. Make sure to consult a dentist before going for any kind of treatment. Remember that no matter what treatment option you choose, it will not stay permanent.
Medications, foods, drinks, and the environment can again re-stain your teeth. So, regular maintenance is required any which way. With a toothsi spark teeth whitening kit, teeth whitening is as easy as ever. Be in the comfort of your home and head to toothsi’s website to get a shiny bright smile.