The recruitment stage always requires filtration (that is why, SELECTION exists!). Be it, a Multinational Company or even, a start-up, every organisation receives many applications at the stage of recruitment. However, one cannot deny that they CANNOT select everybody who applies with them! As a result, rejection mails or letters come into the picture.
In this paragraph, we will discuss:
Why is it important to write a good rejection mail?
Nobody likes informing a news related to rejection to anybody. Moreover, it becomes a huge task at times. However, it is necessary to inform the candidates by writing them a rejection mail.
Firstly, rejections are important because every organisation has a limit for the job position. Moreover, they have to filter a few from the pool of candidates formed in the recruitment process.
Secondly, every candidate who applies for any internship or job, has the right to know the status of their application. Leaving any candidate unanswered not only affects them but also the name of the organisation. Importantly, they should be given a closure about their application’s result. Also, their right to know is equivalent to an organisation’s implied duty to inform them.
Moreover, negative word-of-mouth can spread and affect the goodwill of any organisation.
In addition, there are several organisations that have many levels in the recruitment stages. Hence they should inform the candidates if they keep short-listing throughout the process.
Here are some tips and tricks that you can follow while writing such a mail!
Some ways to write a better rejection mail:
Appreciate the effort of the candidate.
- The beginning of the mail indicates the manner of the message. It is not easy to inform anyone that they did not get what they worked for. Therefore, starting the mail or letter by appreciating the candidate is the best way to start.
- Firstly, it acknowledges the time and effort taken by them for the application procedure. Secondly, it also appreciates their interest in the company and maintains a good image.
- You should express the gratitude in a polite manner and not in a cold way. For instance, do not write “thank you” as:
Thank you for applying to this position…
You should rather be grateful and supportive. For instance, you could use the following lines:
– WE APPRECIATE THE TIME AND EFFORT YOU INVESTED IN OUR COMPANY…
– The team is grateful for the opportunity to speak to you. Thank you so much for your interest in our company…
-WE ARE THANKFUL FOR THE TIME YOU TOOK FOR THIS (POSITION) AND APPRECIATE YOUR INTEREST IN OUR COMPANY…
EXPLAIN THE REASON PROPERLY
- Candidates can genuinely feel many negative emotions when not selected. In addition, they feel frustrated when they do not receive any explanation.
- It is necessary to provide a satisfactory explanation to the candidates. Firstly, it gives them a complete answer to why they were not select. Secondly, it does not leave them unanswered with self-doubt.
- Moreover, writing cold and vague messages should be avoided. For instance,
You are not selected because you are not the right fit. We have found a better fit and you are not a good fit at this time.
- Since, they wait for the response with hope, it is important to give them a full-fledged explanation without any vagueness. Their time, effort and emotions should be respected.
- You need to provide them with a genuine and the real reason. It can be anything, ranging from your requirements to their qualifications.
- This makes the candidate understand why they were not chosen and the company needs, too.
- You may use the following lines, if they are applicable,
If you have received many applications, you may use:
We have received many applications. It was very tough to make a decision out of them. we have selected certain applications whose qualifications matched our requirements.
we are looking for certain qualifications, such as, (name the SPECIFIC qualifications) and have selected the candidates according to them.
for this particular job profile, we are looking for someone with an experience of (mention some years or a degree)
ADD SOME PERSONAL TOUCH
- Adding a personal touch leaves a positive note for the candidates. This is the most important element but, is rarely used.
- This should include a compliment or a mention of any of the candidate’s strength. In other words, it should be something specific about them so that they feel valued.
- It acknowledges their effort and time when they are appreciated. On the other hand, it motivates them rather than disheartening them.
- Instead of writing the mail entirely in a generalised form, try adding one or two personal notes. Acknowledge their best feature so that they do not undermine their worth and respect you more for appreciating them.
- You may replace lines like:
We were really impressed with your qualifications, but… it was a pleasure meeting you and we really liked you, but…
and replace them by:
No doubt, your impression was unique because of your great ability to (write any specific STRENGTH, like communicate) well.
your (any strength) impressed us during the interview. the entire team appreciates that.
- Importantly, such lines impact them in a great way. It removes the “use of templates” thought in the mind of the candidate and they feel good to know their special feature.
- Moreover, there is no harm in complementing a rejected candidate. Not only this, you can even recommend them something to pursue in a good manner. For instance, you may recommend them a short diploma course to enhance their skills, if needed.
- Therefore, take care of noticing and writing down the strengths during interviews and mention them, whatsoever the nature of the mail is!
BE ARTICULATE, NOT COLD
- Since, the purpose of the mail is to communicate the rejection of the application, it should be done clearly. Use of vague lines should be avoided to express the very purpose of the mail.
- However, this does not mean the mail should be cold or impolite. Rather, it should communicate the message in a clear yet polite manner.
- Firstly, an expression of gratitude is a must. Secondly, a personal touch, as discussed above, is one major element that adds a good touch to the mail. Finally, the mail should declare the result of the recruitment procedure, here, that is rejection.
- There should be a full-fledged message. The mail should not sound like a robotic or an auto generated one. Rather, make it look like a specific mail.
ALWAYS leave on a good note
- It is necessary to convey the message that the organisation will always have a door open for them. In other words, as and when, they fulfill the company’s requirement, they are happily welcomed.
- This message should never be in a vague or cold manner.
- In other words, avoid empty and non-promising words.
- There is always a possibility that you may actually need a previously rejected candidate. Therefore, you should genuinely express how the doors for recruitment are always open and not permanently closed for them.
- Do not use common and empty lines like:
Stay informed for any future job position. We will keep your application and inform when we re-consider it.
Instead, use lines that makes them feel worthy, like:
We hope there is no problem if we contact you in the future.
WE HOPE YOU DO NOT MIND IF WE REACH OUT FOR ANY FUTURE OPPORTUNITY
- This way, the candidate can even think of the company for any future career change. Importantly, end the mail with the best wishes for luck. Therefore, a change in the way of writing can do wonders and convey a genuine message.
Here is an example of a rejection letter template sent after the interview stage, with hints in the bracket!
Dear CANDIDATE NAME
We were lucky to get many applications for the post of (NAME OF THE POST). The entire team is grateful for the opportunity to speak to you. We express our gratitude for your patience, efforts and interest for our company (NAME THE COMPANY).
Since, we were looking for a person with a work experience of at least four years (YOU MAY CHANGE THIS, RESPECTIVELY) for the profile of (NAME OF THE POST), after a lot of thought, we have decided to go with another candidate. While your qualifications are quite impressive, we felt that you lacked some experience for this respective profile. However, we are thankful to you for the time you took out for us.
We would really like to mention that your fluent speaking and writing skills (NAME ANY PERSONAL STRENGTH) impressed us, particularly. The entire team immensely appreciated about it. It was a very hard decision to let go of some applications, like yours. But, at this time we are looking for somebody with more experience for this profile.
We hope you do not mind if we reach out for any future opportunity. We will add your details in our database and consider you for future profiles, hoping that it is not a problem. Thanks again for your interest in our company. We wish you the best of luck for the job search and future endeavors!
It is unavoidable for a candidate to go through some negative emotions when reading a rejection mail. But, a genuine and warm message can actually help them accept the rejection. Moreover, the mail should never be a cold and a commonly circulated one. As discussed above, it should convey some personal message and gratitude for their efforts and time.
It should make them work on themselves in a positive way and not leave them in a negative pool of emotions. You can definitely not ease up their mood but can make the news easier for them to hear. So, choose the words wisely and present them in a warm manner!
These tips were very brief but can help a lot! If there are any other things that you think should be included, do share in the comments below.