India is a South Asian country; it is the seventh-largest country by size and the second largest populated country in the world. Lots of people from around the world visit India for vacations or work purposes. If you are planning to visit India for a vacation, you need a valid passport and tourist visa.
India is a safe country for tourists. There is a very low risk of violent crimes, especially for foreign women. It is also safe to travel the whole of India apart from few areas where tourists generally don’t travel. India also has very convenient and cheap inter-state transport facilities.
Tourists usually worry about where they can exchange currency in India. Currency exchange in India is quite an easy and simple procedure. You can exchange your currency at the airport itself. You can also exchange your currency at any Indian bank or any other bank which is RBI approved.
Details of the Cities That Are Frequently Travelled By Tourists
1. Mumbai: The financial capital of India is not only the most famous city in Maharashtra but is also deemed as the “Bollywood” city. If you are planning to travel to Mumbai there are 4 hidden gems which you should visit for experiencing the real spirit of the city which never sleeps.
- Gateway Of India
- Chatrapathi Shivaji Terminus
- Marine Drive
- Bandra-Worli Sea Link
One of the biggest metropolitan cities in India, people visit here from all over the world. There is a large range of hotels right from luxury hotels to budget ones. The most famous and luxurious hotels among them are the Trident and The Taj Mahal Palace hotel. You can try The Ibis, the Resort hotel or the Skyward Inn if you have a smaller budget.
Mumbai street food is quite famous. You can visit Khau Galli, which is a famous street with a lot of street food options and don’t miss out on the ever so famous Pau Bhaji.
2. Goa: Situated on the Western coast of India, it is the smallest state. Goa is famous for its numerous beaches, amazing nightlife, seafood, heritage architecture and different water sports. The top 3 famous places which you can visit in Goa are
- Calangute Beach
- Fort Aguada
- Anjuna Beach
As it is visited by numerous tourists all over the year, there are numerous hotels where you can stay from 5-Star to budget ones, all are available. Vivanta Goa in Panaji and Grand Hyatt Goa are the most famous among all.
Here in Goa, you can try several kinds of seafood and cuisine. You can eat at any restaurant as most of them are usually quite good and hygienic.
3. Hyderabad: It is known for its rich history and traditions. India finds a lot of tourists visiting the Pearl City Hyderabad as it is known for its historical as well as its modern tourist attractions.
- Mecca Masjid
- Birla Mandir
- Ramoji Film City
For the international tourists as well as the domestic travelers Hyderabad is well connected by air. You have a lot of connection flights from the capital city and vice versa to the capital city Delhi. The Hyd to Delhi flight price is usually quite cheap all around the year apart from some months when there are festivals.
Biriyani is the most famous food in Hyderabad. There are numerous restaurants all around where you can find authentic Biriyani. Fusion 9 is the most famous among them.
In Hyderabad, there are plenty of hotels where you can stay. Anmol International and Asrani International are two very good and budget-friendly hotels you can choose from.
4. Delhi: The capital of India is the junction of all activities in India and this reflects in its tourism. It is also quite a historically rich city in India. There are many places to visit in Delhi like
- Qutub Minar
- Red Fort
- India Gate
- Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Lotus Temple
- Jama Masjid
As it is the leading tourist destination of India, Delhi has an excess amount of hotels for accommodation. There are many 5-star hotels like Taj, Oberoi, Leela Palace etc. You can choose hotels according to your preference and budget.
Delhi is a place where you can find any kind of cuisine from Punjabi to Bengali. You can try any cuisine you want. From luxury restaurants to street food you can get anything. There is no such particular cuisine for Delhi.
5. Kolkata: “The City Of Joy” is the capital of West Bengal and is the second-largest city of India. Rich in its culture, heritage, and art, Kolkata is beautiful. There are many historical places to visit
- Victoria Memorial
- Howrah Bridge
- Fort William
- Belur Math
- Indian Museum
You can find luxurious hotels like ITC Royal Bengal, JW Marriot etc. You can also find budget-friendly hotels and lodges as well.
You shouldn’t forget to try sweets if you are visiting Kolkata. The sweets here are not only famous in India but also all around the world. Misti Doi and Rosogolla are the most famous sweets among them.
6. Jaipur: Also known as Pink City, is the capital of Rajasthan. It is known for the Rajputs who ruled for centuries and build a planned city like this in the 17th Century AD. There are many historical places to visit here
- Amer Fort
- City Palace
- Nahargarh Fort
- Hawa Mahal
As this is a historically rich city you can find many modern hotels and traditional palaces also to stay. Jaipur Haveli is a very unique place to stay.
Here you can find all kinds of dishes but then it is better to try local cuisine where you can try a lot of different traditional foods and deserts. Four Seasons is a very good restaurant where you can taste all the authentic dishes famous in Jaipur.
7. Amritsar: It is the gateway of Punjab, home of the famous Golden Temple and it is also known for the heroic activities of Punjab. Amritsar is filled with lots of temples and Gurudwaras as it is one of the spiritual places of India. It has some famous places to visit
- Golden Temple
- Wagah Border
- Jallianwala Bagh
In Amritsar, you can find all kinds of luxury and budget-friendly. Fairfield by Marriott and Hyatt Regency Amritsar are the most famous among all.
Amritsar is known for its most delicious food in India. Amritsari Fish, Chicken Tikka, Amritsari Kulcha are the most famous foods which you can find anywhere in Amritsar from luxury to roadside restaurants.
8. Bangalore: Also known as the Silicon Valley of India is the 3rd largest city of India. It is known for its beautiful gardens, street foods, cafes and pubs. That’s why it was formerly called Garden City. Bangalore is a very modern city and the IT Hub of India, but there are few places which you can visit
- Bangalore Palace
- Bannerghatta National Park
- Cubbon Park
In Bangalore there are many famous hotels, among them there is The Oberoi Bengaluru, Taj Bangalore, The Leela Palace and much more. You can find budget-friendly options, but it’s rare as Bangalore is a costly city.
Like all modern cities here also you can find almost all cuisines. There are some top restaurants you can try, some of them are Sue’s Food Place, Cafe Felix, Olive Beach and the list goes on.
9. Lucknow: Capital and largest city of UP, known for their Nawabs, Biriyani and Kebabs. It is known for its tastiest and most authentic Mughal cuisine in India. As it is a very traditional and historical place, there are many historical places you can visit
- Bara Imambara
- Chota Imambara
- British Residency
- Rumi Darwaza
As it is a famous tourist place, accommodation is not a worry. You can find both luxurious and budget-friendly hotels. The famous among them are Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Regency and Novotel. There are much more hotels as well.
10. Ahmedabad: It is one of the most rapidly growing industrial and educational hubs of India and the most important city of Gujarat. The former capital of Gujarat is famous for its food, colorful culture and tourism. The famous places you can visit
- Sabarmati Riverfront
- Dada Hari Wav
- Statue Of Unity
As this is one of the fastest growing cities in India, finding a place to accommodate is not an issue. There are many famous and reputed hotels where you can stay, a few of them are Hyatt Agency, Novotel, Doubletree By Hilton and the list continues.
Here you will mainly find vegetarian foods as Gujrati cuisine is mainly vegetarian like dal, roti, kadhi, rice, buttermilk etc. The top 2 restaurants are Food Inn and Vishalla. You can also find many more too.
All these cities are well connected to each other by air and road. There are international airports in some of the major cities like Hyderabad , Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi etc. There is a great rush of tourists from different parts of the world to these cities and especially to the cities which boast of historical attractions.
This is the ultimate guide you can follow if you want to visit India!. India is a very beautiful and diverse country; you will love it and you should visit this beautiful country atleast once in your lifetime!