NSD stands for the National School of Drama which is a theatre training institute in New Delhi, India. The application to get admission into the National School of Drama have now been open. The admission procedure shall be carried out through online mode only. The course shall start once both the rounds of selection are done. The two rounds are the preliminary and the final round of selection.
The National School of Drama has released the application forms to admit students to the three-year course diploma course in the dramatics art. Therefore, the students can give a read to the article below to know all the details about the NSD 2020 admissions.
About the National School of Drama
The National School of Drama located in Delhi is considered to be an autonomous organization that comes under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. The school had been set up by the Sangeet Natak Academy in the year 1959. However, it became an independent school in the year 1975. The school was then awarded the status of a deemed university in the year 2005. However, the university title was revoked on the request of NSD.
As mentioned above, the course shall begin after the completion of the preliminary and the final rounds of selection. The important dates have been released by the authorities. Thus, the table below consists of the important dates that the students seeking admission through the NSD 2020 paper need to remember:
|Online opening of the application form||2nd week of March, 2020|
|Last date for receiving of the application form by post||3rd week of March, 2020|
|Last date to submit the application form||2nd week of April, 2020|
The following are the dates as per the centers and cities in which the preliminary test/ audition shall be conducted:
|Delhi||1st week of May, 2020|
|Jaipur||2nd week of May, 2020|
|Lucknow||2nd week of May, 2020|
|Bhopal||3rd week of May, 2020|
|Chandigarh||3rd week of May, 2020|
|Mumbai||4th week of May, 2020|
|Chennai||1st week of June, 2020|
|Bengaluru||1st week of June, 2020|
|Patna||1st week of June, 2020|
|Guwahati||1st week of June, 2020|
|Bhubaneswar||1st week of June, 2020|
|Kolkata||2nd week of June, 2020|
NSD 2020 Eligibility criteria
The candidates are advised to check the eligibility criteria before they fill the application form. The National School of Drama is also very strict as far as the eligibility for the admission is concerned. Following are the important eligibility criteria for the NSD 2020 examination:
- The student/ candidate must have a graduate degree from any of the university or college of India or Abroad. This degree can be in any subject.
- The student/ candidate should have participated in a minimum of 6 theatre productions.
- The candidate must have a working knowledge in both Hindi and English.
- The minimum age to apply for the course is 18 years as on 1st July, 2020. On the other hand, the maximum age is 30 years as on 1st July, 2020.
- The upper age limit shall be flexible as per the GOI rules for the candidates of the reserved category.
- The other desirable qualification is 3 recommendations from certain theatre experts.
- A second desirable qualification is the presentation of the documentary proof of the theatre experience.
NSD 2020 Application form
The application form for the NSD 2020 admission have been released on the official website of the school. The direct link for the form has been made available according to the schedule as well. The candidates who are able to clear the preliminary round will be called for the final round. There are two ways in which the candidates can submit the application form which are given below:
- The application form will be filled and submitted on the NSD official website online only. The link is http://onlineadmission.nsd.gov.in/2019/
- The second way in which the application form can be submitted is by receiving the application form and the prospectus by post. The candidate shall then write to the Dean, Academic, National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House, and Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi – 110001. Along with this, the candidates need to attach a Pay Order or the crossed Demand Draft. This shall be payable at Delhi and cost Rupees two hundred and twenty-five only. This shall include the postal charges in the name of the Director, National School of Drama, and New Delhi. The students must ensure that the request for receiving the admission form by post is sent to the school before the last date. The filled application form should be submitted to the same address. This should also be received at the school before the last date. No application form will be accepted after the expiration of the submission period.
The candidates should positively attach the other required documents online as well. For filling the form online, an additional fee of Rupees 50 will also be charged.
NSD 2020 Selection Procedure and Interview
As previously mentioned, the selection procedure will be done in two steps. The candidates who are able to clear the preliminary round will go for the final round. In the final round the candidates have to appear for a workshop. The list of the candidates who have been selected for the interview round will be released on the official website only. The candidates may check their names in the list and accordingly appear for their interview. The interview shall be conducted on the centres mentioned earlier under the important date’s category.
NSD 2020 Result
The final result of the NSD 2020 will be declared on the official website according to the schedule. The result will be based on the two rounds and the interviews. The candidates must know that any discrepancy in the admission form and the original documents will lead the school authorities to reject the application. Therefore, the candidates will be finally selected on the basis of the verification and validation of the original documents.
NSD 2020 Reservation criteria
Out of the 26 sets that are available in the course, 4 seats are reserved for the scheduled caste candidates. 2 seats out of the remaining 22 are reserved for the scheduled tribe. Out of the remaining 20 seats, 7 belong to the OBC (non-creamy layer candidates as per the government records) and for the PwD candidates according to the Government rules.
The official website of National School of Drama: https://nsd.gov.in/delhi/
In conclusion, we hope that the information given above was useful to all the candidates seeking admission to the National School of Drama. The NSD 2020 examination does not assess the academic intelligence of a candidate to a great extent. However, it is equally difficult as it assess several other skills, talent and abilities of the individual.